Monday 19 September 2011

BATTER BUTTY


Oh my word, I've just discovered the Batter Butty!  It's something so bad and so good at the same time.  When you read the recipe everything  will scream blocked arteries and high cholesterol but I'm a firm believer that you can have the bad things as long as that's not all you're eating - everything in moderation.

So, basically the Batter butter is a jam sandwich deep fried in batter - I told you it was bad.  I've tried to posh mine up a bit and used brioche rolls and added slices of fresh strawberry.



The picture says it all really, it's pretty simple.  Make your sandwich, don't butter it and put jam on both sides to help it stick together.  Add a layer of thinly sliced strawberry and sandwich it together.



Dip the whole think in batter and deep fry.  I made my batter with one egg and 5 tbsp of plain flour.  Stir them both together till the egg is incorporated then gradually add milk till you get the consistency you're happy with.  I used about 1/2 pt.  You want it to be the thickness of pancake batter.


It takes only a minute to cook, once it is, sit it briefly on kitchen paper then serve still warm with a sprinkle of icing sugar.  It's like a lovely fresh doughnut.


I can hear Elvis saying "thank you very much"

2 comments:

  1. How do

    Just watched TGBB on iPlayer, gutted you didn't make it through - I've absolutely loved your work.

    Glad you've decided to do a blog - my missus and I witll be steal- er, using some of the recipes for certain.

    All the best
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pete, I'm so glad you like the recipes, let me know which you like and how you get on with them.

    ReplyDelete